You would agree with the fact that self balancing scooters created a lot of hype among everyone and then the news of these hoverboards bursting arrived.
It was a serious issue which led to the recalling of all the hoverboard units. Not only this, even E-commerce giants like Amazon banned these self balancing scooters from their website.
Later, it (Amazon) also allowed the listing of self balancing hoverboards once the issue of safety was taken into consideration and the hoverboards were then coming with a safety mark.
That’s why it is important that you only go with the safest and the best hoverboard or you can also call them the best self balancing scooter, it’s the same thing.
The UL mark and the UL holographic certification label ensure that a particular hoverboard is safe to ride.
Best Hoverboard and Self Balancing Scooter 2018
It was 1996 when the first trademark use of Hoverboard was registered and it was 1999 when it was first used as a commercial name representing a wheeler scooter.
You can be sure that it’s not a new thing.
Now that most of the hoverboards comes with a safety message and label, it makes sense to buy one and enjoy the ride.
It could be a little bit trickier for everyone to find the best electric hoverboard that is safe and fun to ride at the same time.
You would be surprised to know that earlier it was only limited manufacturers that were actually making these self balancing scooters, while others were just purchasing and selling them with their own label.
Now, there are many brands that are actually making it and no one wants to hurt their market just because of some safety issues.
Let’s just have a look at these best self balancing scooters that are available in the market and are the best among other self balancing hoverboards.
Now, let’s get back on track and see which are the best self balancing electric scooter you can go for right now.
1. Halo Rover
The top speed it can catch is about 10mph, however, it may depend upon the weight of the rider. As mentioned above that all the hoverboards needs to get a safety certificate to be able to sold, all the Halo self balancing scooters with the UL certificate which ensures that it is safe and secure.
If you have found a hoverboard without that label, then do only one thing, DON’T PURCHASE IT.
The HALO wings are there to protect your hoverboard from damage, if you are still concerned about it then you can purchase the accidental warranty where they replace your old model with the new one in case of any accidental damage.
A UL2272 hoverboard that is designed for literally everyone. The battries being used for manufacturing their hoverboards comes from reputed companies like LG.
It has got 3 different modes, namely, Beginner, Normal and Advanced which makes it easier for everyone to train and ride this self balancing hoverboard.
The tires of this Halo electric self-balancing scooter grabbed much of our attention, it makes the ride possible on almost all types of floors.
You will love the mobile app support for this electric hoverboard. You can track your speed, battery life, distance, map your rides and turn off or on your hoverboard using the custom and dedicated mobile app for Halo self balancing boards.
If you think that’s all about our top pick hoverboard by Halo brand then you are probably, here are some interesting features and specs that you should know about before purchasing:
Halo Rover Highlights
- Can handle up to 264 pounds of weight.
- Bluetooth functionality is there, just enjoy your music while riding your favorite electric hoverboard.
- It’s IPX4 Water resistance.
- Indestructible tires which make it suitable for ever kind of route.
- Comes with UL 2271 security and safety standards powered by LG Lithium ion batteries.
- Custom made app which makes it easier to control the board without doing much effort.
- Powerful 800 Watt electric motor and you can ride it on roads with an elevation of up to 20 degrees.
2. SwagTron T1
Swagtron T1 comes with a UL 2272 certificate and uses the UL 2271 certified SentryShield batteries. The UL certification simply means the UL has tested the samples of this products and only approved after performing various tests on it.
It passes the security tests perfectly, if you would like to know about the testes these hoverboards go through then just scroll till the end of this page, we have mentioned it there.
It should be your perfect pick if you need something affordable, reliable and trustworthy.
The top speed it can pick is about 8mph and the battery charges quite fast, it should take around 1 hour to charge it fully and can go up to 12 miles. Though this is the approximation value, it also depends on other factors like weight and the track you are going to ride it on.
Sadly, it does not have Bluetooth feature like that of Halo’s self balancing scooter but it comes with reliable features that can convince you to think about it.
It comes with hard ABS outer body casing, Aluminium wheels with rubber tires, learning mode. The learning mode increases the stabilizing power of the hoverboard which makes it easier for new learners to learn balancing.
The maximum weight it can handle is 220lbs which is lower than Halo’s rover hoverboard.
The climbing capacity of this self balancing scooter is 30 degrees, which is quite good.
3. Razor Hovertrax 2.0
It is suitable for riders above 8 years of age and the maximum weight it can handle is 220lbs, same as that of Swagtron T1.
Just like Halo hoverboards, LG batteries are being used for this self balancing scooter as well.
You can ride the hoverboard for about 60 minutes continuously when it is fully charges, again it also depends on the temperature, climate, elevation angle and weight of the rider.
Let’s have a look at the specifications of this one of the best hoverboard:
- Comes with Ul 2272 security standards.
- Can handle up to 220lbs of weight.
- Ride for about 60 minutes on fully charges, it comes with dual 135 watt batteries powered by LG cells.
- The top speed is about 8mph, which is industry average.
4. Epikgo Self Balancing Scooter
It is equipped with dual 400 Watt batteries that are powerful enough to give a good speed hoverboard experience. The batteries used for this hoverboard are manufactured by LG company.
Talking about the safety then it also got UL 2272 certificate and the smart LG batteries being used in this smart self balancing scooter got UL 2271 certificate, so no need to worry about safety.
A single charge can get you a ride of 10 miles which is not bad.
Just like Halo’s hoverboard, its tires are also built for tough roads types and you can expect a nice friction which will help in preventing accidents.
Minimum weight to ride this one of the best hoverboards should be 44lbs and the maximum is 240lbs which is better than other but lowers than Halo’s electric hoverboard.
Here are key spec s and features of Epikgo hoverboard:
- Dual 400 watt batteries can give you a 10 miles ride on a single charge.
- More space since it is 30% larger than other hoverboards.
- Gets charged within 2 hours.
- Powered by LG smart UL 2271 certified batteries.
- Robust tires for every road type.
- Built in Bluetooth (in premium series)
5. Swagtron T3
Another Swagtron hoverboard series on our list of best self balancing scooters 2018. It’s an obvious thing now that if it’s on our list then surely it is URL certified. You may have noticed that not even the hoverboards but the batteries used for these smart self balancing scooters are also UL certified.
When you ride it on road then there are high probabilities of getting scratches on it, you can see any used hoverboard, there will be scratches over it but this one is scratch-resistant, good for those who don’t keep their gadgets like their kids.
The Swagtron T1 we mentioned earlier didn’t have in-built Bluetooth audio, but this one has.
The minimum weight for riding this electric hoverboard should be 55 lbs and the maximum it can handle is 220 lbs which is industry average.
With 5 level battery indicator it is easy to keep track of your battery life, it takes approximately 2-3 hours to charge it fully and can go for 7-12 miles when fully charges.
The climbing capacity for this Swagtron T3 model is 30 degrees and that’s quite impressive. Swagtron’s self balancing scooters are usually lighter in weight when compared to other hoverboards. Both T1 and T3 weigh 22 lbs.
Here are some key points and specification worth noticing:
- Powered by dual 300 Watt electric motor.
- Can climb up to 30 degrees.
- Comes with in-built Bluetooth speakers.
- Just like Halo’s hoverboards, it comes with its dedicated and custom android and iOS app which you can use to view your router history, check battery level and change riding mode. Not as good as Halo’s app but something is better than nothing.
6. Skque Hoverboards
Keep one thing in mind before buying it that you need to be at least 70 lbs to ride this self balancing hoverboard, whether it is a 6 inch board or a 10 inch, the minimum weight requirement is same.
Check out some highlights of this hoverboard:
- Dual 350 Watt electric motor.
- Maximum speed achievable is 10 mph (depends upon weight and surface)
- Can cover a maximum distance of 20 Km on a flat surface.
- Charges quickly within 1-2 hours.
- Apart from the usual colors like black, red, white, and pink, it comes with a trendy design and print.
- Bluetooth is only in selected models, make sure the model you choose has Bluetooth.
7. Street Saw Rocksaw
Equipped with powerful dual 400 Watt motors, it can achieve the top speed of 9 mph and top range of 10 miles.
The battery takes around 2-3 to get fully charged and can go for 5-6 hours, frankly speaking the battery life is good.
Make sure your kids are at least 75 pounds before getting on top of it.
Here are some key specs and details about this hoverboard:
- Powerful dual 400 Watt motor
- Battery life is 5-6 hours and it takes 2-3 hours to charge it fully.
- Climbing capacity is 15 degrees and it is suitable for all roads.
- 3 speed modes that can be controlled using the app which is built especially for street saw hoverboards.
- The tire size is 8.5 inches which comes with aircraft grade Aluminum alloy covers.
8. DailySaw Street Saw
This is truly one of the best self balancing scooters that you can find on the market right now. Why are we saying that? Well, check for yourself.
It is 6.5 inch 2 wheel self balancing hoverboard which is definitely UL certified and uses LG/ Samsung batteries. Yeah, that’s too common. What’s new in this?
You will be surprised to know that while other hoverboards can handle up to 22lbs (Halo’s capacity is 264 lbs), this hoverboard scooter has been tested on 300 pounds which is insane but still to be on the safe side, the company recommends a maximum load of 265 lbs which is still the best.
We are again reminding you that the top range and battery life depend upon various factors like the route you are going on, the weight of the rider, climatic conditions and the elevation level of the road etc.
Let’s check out some key features of this hoverboard self balancing scooter:
- Can handle up to 265 pounds.
- A perfect fit for kids.
- Equipped with dual 350 watt batteries and it can attain a top speed of 10.5 mph
- Bluetooth speakers
- Battery life is 5-6 hours.
9. Jetson V8
There are many other Jetson hoverboard models but we have listed V8, that does not mean the previous ones are not good, they are good at their place but this one is the upgraded version of their prequels like V6 and V5.
The V8 version also comes in sports look which looks a bit sporty while the normal one is classy.
Just like any other hoverboard on the market, it is also UL 2272 certified so there is nothing to boast about that.
The main point is that you should get what you pay for, so do you get that? Let’s find it out by having a look at the highlights and features this 2 –wheel electric hoverboard can give us:
- One of the fastest hoverboards and can go up to 12 mph with a maximum range of 10 miles (not bad at all).
- It takes up to 3 hours to get it fully charged which is not that great but falls within the industry standards as most of the hoverboards take this much time.
- The climbing angleis 20 degrees which is better than average as most of the hoverboards have 15 degrees.
- Batteries are non removable (not good if you want to replace it by your own)
- The weight limit is 300 lbs, now here we have a competitor of Dailysaw by Street Saw which could also handle up to 300 lbs. The main thing noticing here is that Street Saw brand still recommended 265 lbs to be on safe side and Jetson V8 is openly recommending 300 lbs. Now either it’s too strong or the company is not taking any protective measures just like Street Saw did.
- It can be controlled with the dedicated mobile app.
- Listening to music becomes possible because it has in-built Bluetooth V4.1 with Bluetooth Stereo speakers.
- It comes with 1 year limited warranty just like any other hoverboard on the market. Limited warranty means that only the cover parts are eligible to claim warranty damages. If you need full replacement in case of accident then we strongly recommend you to go for Halo’s electric hoverboard along with accidental insurance.
To conclude, it is a good quality and trustworthy hoverboard and it definitely deserves to be on the list of best hoverboard scooters.
10. Hoverzone S Series-Self Balance Hoverboard
The Hoverzone S Series comes with dual 250 watt motors, Led lights, UL 2272 certificate (obviously), all these things that we have already covered for previous products on our list of best hoverboards. What’s new?
To be frank, there is nothing new in this, it is also the same just like others, however, the company claims to provide Hoverzone patented Aegis armor smart battery management system which provides multi-layer hover skateboard protection.
This sounds good from security and safety point of view. If you are getting a secure and safe 2 wheel hoverboard in this price then it’s definitely not a bad deal.
The motor power is something that bothers us but it can go up to 11 miles easily with a top speed of 8 mph.
There are two riding modes to choose from, beginners and advanced, switching between the modes is not a difficult task and anybody can do that easily without scratching their face.
The X factor here would be the patented Hoverzone armor which gives smart battery management system, this is just another step taken to ensure the safety of riders.
Tests These Hoverboards go Through
You might have thought for a moment at least that how can I be sure that a particular hoverboard is safe to ride? Have you?
You are absolutely right to think about that, after all, you are about to invest some money, you deserve to be secure.
First of all, the UL certificate simply means that it is safe to be used, without UL 2272 certification no hoverboard can be launched on the market.
The batteries used in hoverboards are also tested by UL and after approval they are given a UL 2271 certification.
If you notice carefully, then all the hoverboard scooters we have mentioned are UL certified, that means you can go with literally any of our best hoverboard recommendations since they are certified and tested by UL.
Here are some of the tests that are performed on all the hoverboards, Swagtron has openly listed the tests it went through but it is same for all as UL is not biased and does its work perfectly.
- Overcharge Test
- Short Circuit Test
- Over discharge Test
- Temperature Test (Determines the failure temperature of a product.)
- Imbalanced Charging Test
- Dielectric Voltage Test
- Isolation Resistance Test (Testing Isolation Transformer.)
- Vibration Test
- Shock Test
- Crash Test
- Drop Test
- Mold Stress Test
- Water Exposer Test
- Thermal Cycling Test (Testing the effects of extreme differential temperature change.)
- Strain Relief Tests
- Motor Overload Test
- Motor Locked Rotor
- 20mm End Product Flame (Test that determines flame resistance.)
A hoverboard gets the status of UL certified only after passing such tests, if you want to know more about testing then you can read it here on the official website of UL.
Which Hoverboard is Best for Buying?
You might be in a dilemma right now that which is the best hoveboard to buy. Let us help you at this point.
Each one of the hoverboard is a masterpiece in itself with all the essential features and security measures.
If you notice carefully then most of our top hoverboard picks are suitable for kids and adults both.
But there is one thing that we would like to tell you that don’t put your safety or your kid’s safety at risk just for the sake of few dollars.
If you need something quite durable and trustworthy then go with Halo, Swagtron T1, Epikgo or Razor hovertrax 2.0. These all are of high quality standards and ensure you the best experience.
Now, we leave it to you. Read it again, check all the features once more and then decide which hoverboard should be the best for you.